Feeling broke this January? After Christmas all my friends are saying they have no money, so I decided to do a post about how to get more for your money and still enjoy London this new year. Feel free to share with your friends.
Take advantage of London’s restaurant deals, vouchers and get yourself a taste card!
Eating out is usually the first thing people cut back on when money is tight, but this January you can take advantage of all the deals that restaurants are introducing to try and get you to part with your cash.
- Get a free trial of tastecard. You will be able to get 50% or 2 for 1 deals in lots of restaurants around London.
- Check out these recommended restaurant deal websites: Vouchercodes, Toptable and Groupon.
- For those who are really pushed for pounds All Bar One are running a dine for 5 pounds deal when you sign up to their newsletter.
- Cut back on the alcohol this January – it will cut the cost of your meals and give your liver time to recover after Christmas and New Year.
Go to London’s Museums and Gallery Friday Lates
These are usually on a Friday and are FREE! So if you are looking for something to do with your friends in London and save money these can be good fun. My top three events:
- If you like drawing, The National Portrait Gallery is running free drawing classes on Friday evenings throughout January.
- Try you hand at Speed Dating, a Pub quiz or chill out at the bar at The Science Museum Lates.
- Also on the art front – check out Private art openings at London’s small galleries, you can usually find out about these by signing up to their mailing lists. (Sssh they usually give you free wine while you peruse the artworks).
Buy your clothes on the cheap
With prices in the shops already slashed due to the sales, you can shave a few pounds off that sales bargain by looking out for any imperfections (of course it helps if you’re handy with a sewing needle, if not ask your mummy) most shops will reduce goods with the odd hole or missing button.
Also since January is the time when lots of people spring clean their wardrobes, it’s also the perfect time to hit the charity shops and rummage. Aim for charity shops in well-heeled areas: Pimlico, Chelsea and South Kensington.
Get fit for free in London
Don’t get sucked into spending lots of money on gym membership you are never going to use to burn off those Christmas pounds.
- Use the outdoors! It is cold I know, but force yourself to take brisk walks in the park or dig out that old fitness dvd and start doing some squats on your bedroom door.
- Sign up for free taster classes with tasterlab – choose from a number of sports such as kickboxing, squash and racketball.
- If you still want to hit the gym LA Fitness is giving away a free 3 day pass.
Sell your unwanted Christmas gifts on Ebay to make some extra cash
Single? Meet new people in London for free
If you want to meet new people but don’t fancy paying for speed dating or internet dating. You should try meetup.com there is a group for pretty much every interest under the sun. Joining up is free and some events especially industry ones giveaway freebies!
Also Okcupid is a free dating site that friends of mine have tried and found to be successful.
Do you have any ways to save money in London this January? Leave a comment and let’s share our ideas.